Leaks or pipe bursts may sometimes result in house flooding. Taking the necessary precaution and safety measures is paramount in case of a home flood. You need to be concerned with your safety first.
You should also ensure all your family members are safe. Taking safety measures earlier plays a crucial role in preventing further damage or disaster. You also need to call reputable plumbing or water damage experts within the shortest time possible to fix the leaks.
Some of the vital things you should do for your safety and to prevent further damage and mold growth during a flood include the following:
- Call Just Floods: You should contact us to fix the problem as soon as possible. It is also paramount to explain the nature of the damage to them. Consequently, we will be able to prepare well and carry all the essential equipments. Only work with certified experts who have many years of solving house flooding problems.
- Dress Appropriately: This is the first safety measure that you should take. Wearing water-resistant clothing and a hard hat will protect your important parts from potential dangers. Trapped water, falling debris, loose and crumbling ceilings are potential hazards to your head and body when entering the flooded home. Wearing gloves is also paramount. Some materials may be a healthy hazard due to oil in the water, chemicals and sewage. Rubber gloves are the best for handling anything in flooded areas. A 95 micron mask filter is necessary for safeguarding you from hazardous particles. The mask is necessary for protecting your lungs from pollutants and disease. Waterproof boots are necessary to assure you of safety when walking in basements, water-coated floors, and muddy floors. There are high chances that you could step on sharp objects. Ideal boots should have hard soles.
- Turn off your water: This will help you to prevent more water damage prior to the arrival of water damage specialists. Turning off your water will also help to stop further house flood.
- Remove furniture and pictures: If you have upholstered furniture that got wet, take the cushions and take them outside for drying. Remove all pictures or other decorations from the walls and also any area rugs.
- Unplug all electrical appliances: You should ensure you have the appropriate clothing for performing this task so as to prevent the danger of being electrocuted. You should first switch off the main switch. Then unplug all electric appliances. Electricity related hazards can be prevented when these measures are taken earlier during a house flooding.
- Turn off the air conditioner: If the flood occurs in the summer, turn off air conditioner in order to dehumidify the home. Opening up the windows to release any trapped moisture is also necessary. Do not turn off the swamp cooler if it is winter.
In conclusion, taking the above essential measures will prevent many potential dangers. Safety measures should be considered first after a house flood. Only work with a specialist with at least five years of experience in the field. Such an expert will be ideal for solving house flooding problems.